First of all a little warmup – a flip flop. I know it sounds simple, but.. it can be artistic, sophisticated and comfortable, also a great present for the family and finally: people make living of it, so why not? Let’s make flip flops!
Before we would start let me suggest to buy a few stuff:
1. leather for upper. You need to get a thick upper leather, preferably a 2 – 3 mm thick oil tanned leather. This will let us use it without stitches and reinforcements.
2. get leather for insole – you can even use your upper leather here, if it is thick enough (2 – 3 mm).
3. midsole leather – I would suggest veg-tan, but not too thick. 3 mm s great. (you can calculate in oz too: 48 oz = 1 inch = 25.4 mm Good luck!)
4. outsole leather or a thinner EVA. 3-4 mm.
5. utility knife (a strong one – you need to cut those thick pieces as well)
6. Master Cement – buy a small box, 1 quart, this will be enough for several flip flops.
7. Sandpaper. Buy different grits: 40, 80, 150
8. and finally find an old flip flop, which fits you – that will be a big help for the sole shape. You can even make it – I will teach you how, in the next lesson.