Let’s make the next steps. Design and create! We make 3 simple designs – you can choose which one you like, but just for practice, we are going to make all three, OK? Read the whole lesson before you start.
1. Cut out the sole shape you made from a piece of (preferably a bit heavier) paper
2. Then copy the shape – 3 times. You will need them all.
3. First design: a simple strap. Cut out a generously long 1 cm wide paper strap. Make sure it is even, so the lines are parallel!
4. The next design is similar – in this case make the two straps coming together 1 cm at the narrowest point and slightly wider at the end (let’s say 3 cm)
5. For the third design we have to use a pattern-maker trick: fold the paper half, by scoring it!
Then draw a 45 degree strap on it. You can make it parallel, or wider at the ends. Up to you.
And stop for a moment.. It is not perfect. It is not gonna be perfect… but we use paper, which doesn’t have any mentionable flexibility, not like leather, so don’t worry. It is OK. When you use leather, that will be way more tolerant. That is the whole deal about making shoes..
12. And now – go back to work! You have two more paper mock ups to finish!
Then assemble this piece together as well (I use a bone folder, but it is not that much necessary). If you use rubber cement (paper cement. whatever) make sure you wait a few minutes to put them together so they stick well.
16. Make the fitting! This is the time, when you can figure it out, if they will fit OK, maybe too tight, to loose… etc. If they are not perfect – modify. The first fitting is rarely good… except you are a pro after several years of practice.
This was the lesson, and now your turn! Let me be clear, what I except:
1. Make all three models. It is good for practice and doesn’t take that much time.
2. Post one picture on the facebook group! (https://www.facebook.com/groups/128266510546383/). Please post only one picture about the three models – I am only gonna give feedback for the completed assignments.
3. Choose one of these, whichever you like, what you will make! If you make it more complicated, what I don’t suggest – you solve your technical issues! I would suggest this time keep it simple. Learn walking before you start running.
WARNING: if you use any harmful, dangerous, flammable… stb. glue, material, make sure you use it properly, according to the recommendation of the manufacturer! Read those tiny characters on the box, they giving useful information.